Your 2021 French income tax return

You may have been in living in France for several years, or maybe you arrived in France in 2020 and decided to live here permanently. In both cases, you must file an income tax return (“declaration des revenus”) this year to report your worldwide income received in 2020. Our French tax advisors can assist you for the preparation of your income tax return.

When is your French income tax return due?

For taxpayers who do not have access to the French tax authorities’ website to file their French income tax return, they will have to file it on paper. In such a case, the French tax authorities have announced that the deadline for these taxpayers is May 20th, 2021.

For taxpayers who have access to the French tax authorities’ website to file their French income tax return, the deadline will vary depending on the area they are living. For non-tax residents, the filing deadline is May 26th, 2021. For tax residents, the filing deadline will vary based on the area you are currently living in.

01 to 19May 26th, 2021
20 to 54June 1st, 2021
55 to 976June 8th, 2021

If you are late for the filing of your income tax return, you may be subject to late filing penalties. To avoid the application of such penalties, we can file your income tax return on your behalf, and you may be able to benefit from a time-extension. If you are in this situation, we encourage you to reach out to our team of French tax advisors.

What do you need to file your first French income tax return?

If it is your first time filing an income tax return in France and if you must file it on paper, you will need to provide to the French tax authorities the following documents in addition to your income tax return:

  1. A RIB/IBAN of the bank account you would like to use for the payment of your French income tax and social contributions, if any. This bank account should be in the European Union.
  2. A clear copy of your ID or passport.
  3. If you are not the owner of the residence you occupy, a copy of your lease agreement. In addition, you will have to indicate the details of the owner of the property you occupy in your income tax return.

What do you need to report in your French income tax return?

When you are a tax resident of France, you need to report your French and foreign income to the French tax authorities. This includes, for example, foreign interests, dividends, or capital gains, but also pension income paid by your former employer outside France or by the State you were living in prior to arriving in France.

In addition to this you need to report all your bank accounts held outside France, or any foreign life insurance policies, endowment policies, or capitalization contracts. Failing to do so can trigger the application of a € 1,500 penalty (which, in certain cases, can go up to € 10,000) per bank account or life insurance policy (or any similar policies) owned outside France.

Do not hesitate to contact our team of French tax advisors if you need help for the preparation of your French income tax return.